WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE INTERNET?
Response to a brief to develop the terms of reference for an Open Society Foundations project, Re-Imagining our Networked Public Sphere. We identify a need for community/citizen-centred education around AI / ADM, specifically focussing on the following topics:
• accountability and transparency of algorithms
• trustworthiness of information & analysis
• the crisis in journalism
• EULAs and ‘uncontracts’
• changing notions of property rights (e.g. right to repair)
• incursion of proprietary networked processing into domestic/public space
• oligopolistic capture of the ‘stack’ (infrastructure, devices, content, even critical fora)
• resource, energy, and waste issues
• online trolling/violence/humiliation in subcultures (e.g. swatting in gaming)
More on the response here.